Friday 16 April 2010

Ash Thursday

15th April10, Newton Links, 4pm

"Ash Thursday" is a witty name given to the day that all flights were grounded in UK due to an ash cloud passing (invisibly) over Britain. A volcano named Eyjafjallajoekull erupted and, due to the high pressure system sitting over us, the winds have blown the ash cloud our way. I have heard no newsreaders even try to pronounce it!

Meanwhile, the met office forecast showed a sheet of cloud south of us and clear skies North. Couldn't have been more accurate and here's the edge of the cloud.


16th April10, Football Hole, 8am

The ash cloud remains but is notable for its invisibility. As all planes are grounded, the sky is free from vapour trails. This is a shot vertically above my head.


...and North towards Beadnell


It's starting to get warm enough for Trooper to enjoy a soak to cool off.


Birdprints


One man and his dog.

3 comments:

you-wee because said...

...a colleague of mine managed to fly to Britain (very) early Ash Thursday morning! Thereafter they grounded the air traffic overhead the UK... ;-)
I hope the situation with the Iceland vulcano will be a little better in one week, because I planned to fly to...

This I will tell & show you after my return.

Enjoy your weekend, Andy. The weather on your photos look tremendously much better than what I expected the average British weather would be... ;-))

Uwe.

Paul said...

I wonder how many years it's been since we haven't had vapor trails spoiling an otherwise clear blue sky?

Lynn Webber said...

That ash cloud is all over the news here as well. What chaos! I didn't realise it was invisible!