Sunday 31 December 2017

two views of the year's end

31st December 2017, Embleton Bay, 8am

2017 is going out with a blast as strong winds sweep across the land and sea.

One photo to show the light and the colour of sunrise, two photos to show the movement induced by the wind.


Ansel Adams (noted American landscape photographer) was very scathing about the vogue for 'pictorial photography' which persisted into the 1930's. It was the fashion to render photographs to be like paintings and this offended some photographers who insisted that photography was a valid art in itself without having to copy painterly styles. The use of a slow shutter speed and 'intentional camera movement' (ICM) to create an impressionistic feel is something I flirt with and enjoy and there are other photographers who do this that I know and admire (see Ted Leeming, Morag Patterson, Andy Gray). In these photographs taken this morning the slow shutter speed is used more to capture the whipping movement of the grasses in today's fierce wind and as such to me it could be categorised as photo journalism.

2 comments:

Helen Ball said...

Dear Andy,

I am writing to tell you that I hugely enjoy looking at your blog posts. Carole from Beach Court told me about them last summer - and ever since then, they have been a most welcome sight when they pop into my email inbox. I always make sure that I don't open them until I have a bit of quiet time by myself. They are like visual meditations, it seems to me.

Happy new year...

With all best wishes indeed,

Helen Ball

Andy Craig Photography said...

Thank you so much Helen Your words mean a lot to me. For you to describe my photographs as 'Visual Meditations' is a wonderful description that matches perfectly what I am trying to do. I'm delighted that Carole guided you to discover my blog - she and Russ are wonderful people. I wish you the very best for 2018. Andy x