Tuesday 21 November 2017

eyes open

21st November 2017, Embleton Bay, 8am

A very calm drizzly morning on the beach meant few people around and a chance to relax, shut my eyes and listen to the sea and the birds. When I opened my eyes the first thing I saw was these rocks shining wet and cold as they have done for countless mornings.


In my childhood I remember my Mum collecting shiny coloured stones.

She collected bonny stones, glistening and bright, from various rain soaked west coast of Scotland locations. I also remember the disappointment when we got home and the stones had dried out and lost their bright colours.

Today as the rain pattered down I noticed again the colours in the pebbles on the beach. Sandstones, limestone and whinstone lying side by side - a mosaic of colour under the slate grey sky.


A black and white portrait of a damp dog on a grey day.


21st November 2017, Football Hole, 4pm

Watching the waves




No comments: